Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County –
Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County is a non-profit law firm that has been providing free legal services to low-income and vulnerable populations in
San Mateo County since 1959. Our staff assists clients with legal issues and engages in impactful advocacy related to government benefits, housing, domestic violence, health care, elder law, special education access, and disability rights.
Location: San Mateo County, California (San Francisco Bay Area Peninsula)
1. Client services: Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, the Project Coordinator assists with client intake interviews and preparation of basic pleadings at weekly tenant clinics at various locations around San Mateo County.
2. Volunteer Coordination: In collaboration with the Director or Pro Bono, the Project Coordinator provides training materials and assistance scheduling volunteer shifts for volunteer pro bono attorneys.
3. Client telephone screening, scheduling, and follow up: The Project Coordinator screens individuals who call Legal Aid with legal problems; schedules appointments or provides appropriate referrals; enters data on case-related activities; and follows up with clients by telephone, mail, and email.
4. Database entry and reports: Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, the Project Coordinator is responsible for maintaining a confidential client database, collecting, entering and coding case information in the database, and generating client follow-up data reports.
5. Administrative Support: The Project Coordinator prepares client files and assists staff attorneys with administrative tasks, including file and document management, correspondence, and interpretation/translations for Spanish-speaking clients.
Required Qualifications: We are looking for a motivated individual who is dedicated to advocating for a diverse, low-income client population. The right candidate is someone who can juggle multiple responsibilities, work efficiently and compassionately, use systems to organize large amounts of data, and who has a passion for working with people. S/he will be comfortable taking a leadership role on projects and ensure their timely completion, but will also enjoy supporting the staff attorneys’ work. Other requirements include:
– A.A. degree
– Spanish proficiency (oral and written)
– Excellent writing and communication skills
– Data entry experience
– Working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
– Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
– Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work autonomously
– B.A. degree
– Experience in legal services or law office environment
– Direct service experience with individuals
Salary: $31,000 to $46,000 per year (DOE) + excellent benefits
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To Apply: Submit: 1) a cover letter explaining your interest and how you meet the required job qualifications, 2) your resume, and 3) a writing sample to Shirley Gibson, Directing Attorney. Email: email@example.com or Fax: (650) 517-8973
The Legal Aid Society is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults and members of the LGBT community are strongly encouraged to apply.